Relative costs for tank maintenance

matlet

Supporting
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm not asking for direct quotes or the publication of anyone's competitive pricing, but I was wondering if there is a ballpark range of tank maintenance costs? Earlier this year (with help from ARC and LFS), I rectified a number of issues with my 75 gallon tank and saw things improving, but now things are deteriorating again. For over a month, I have had severe abdominal pain and just confirmed it is cancer. The oncologist says the chemo won't be that bad compared to many people, but the wife is concerned I won't be able to keep up with the tank. I have already missed some water changes due to the pain.

If it's inappropriate to ask for rough pricing, I can always reach out to local maintenance suppliers in my area (some are LFS based, at least one I know if is non-LFS) to get actual quotes.

My specific need is regular maintenance of a 75 gallon tank with sump. Coralife protein skimmer (which needs removal and cleaning on a regular basis), water changes to reduce debris in tank, test Noopsyche lighting for PAR (used to be too intense - maybe swung pendulum the other way), corals dying or not opening anymore, only 3 fish but would like to add more. Also have CPR hang-on refugium (thinking of ordering the Tunze Waterproof Refugium LED light), an Apex monitoring temp and pH and a media reactor that I had loaded carbon and Cuprisorb (had rust in the tank).

Thanks,
Mark

Here is a picture of the tank. It is a bit tight space between front of tank and my work desk.

Attachments

• 20230601_164733 small 2.jpg
    20230601_164733 small 2.jpg
    309.1 KB · Views: 30
I quit tracking my spending on reef tanks years ago. I realize how that sounds, but it’s been my main avocation for years. So not much help in that regard.

That said, Mark, I want to tell you that I wish the very best for you during your treatments! I am also a survivor, along with a number of others, here on ARC. It’s a scary thing to deal with, and can be at times lonely going through having cancer.

If you or your wife need help, it is my sincere hope that our community can reach out to help. If that happens please ask. I’ll keep you and yours in my thoughts and prayers.

best wishes!
Bill

The sad part is your tank does need some attention to get it running smooth. But once you get that done, you can set it up to be very low maintenance. Try not to view it as another problem, but as a distraction. As someone with chronic pain issues, something to do rather than sit there in pain, dwelling on it helped me.

If you want to move forward with the tank I would recommend adding more live rock. Do you have any bio media in the sump? Have you tested your water lately? How did you verify your lights were too high? You might want to check with other users of that light to see what settings they use. I would look into doing an auto water change setup. It requires some space to make and store water and there is cost involved but that will take care of about 80% of your concerns of caring for the tank. If you already have an apex, look into a used DOS unit and some rain barrels on craigslist.

Dont worry about rust in your tank, its just natural GFO.

You have a cyano issue so grab some chemiclean and that will be done with in a few days (it does require a water change though)

Good luck, and try to remember we live in the future now. There are TONS of ways to automate a tank now, and even better, medical tech has advanced A LOT. Spend less time worrying and more time planning to kick cancers ass and move on.

Back