First tank cycle

MBarr57

Reaction score
I am new to the hobby and have started to set up my first tank. I have been cycling the tank now for about a week and a half and have the below readings.

PH 8.4
Temp 76
Salinity 1.024
Ammonia 2.0 ppm (has been at this level for 3 days)
Nitrite 0.25 ppm( just started showing readings 2 days ago)
Nitrate 10ppm ( has been 0 for whole cycle)

My question is why am I showing nitrate levels starting to go up but no real increase in nitrite and stable ammonia? Is this normal for a tank cycle? Any help/advice on cycling a new tank would be great!

I am new to the hobby and have started to set up my first tank. I have been cycling the tank now for about a week and a half and have the below readings.

PH 8.4
Temp 76
Salinity 1.024
Ammonia 2.0 ppm (has been at this level for 3 days)
Nitrite 0.25 ppm( just started showing readings 2 days ago)
Nitrate 10ppm ( has been 0 for whole cycle)

My question is why am I showing nitrate levels starting to go up but no real increase in nitrite and stable ammonia? Is this normal for a tank cycle? Any help/advice on cycling a new tank would be great!

re: question: could definitely just be test accuracy, user error during tests (which happens to *many* people, even those doing test for years), etc. Who did the test? Even if it was the fish store, they don’t always get it right.

The really annoying answer here is probably the tried and true “give it time” and “be patient”. Man but those have made me grimace whenever they get said to me. :)

Did you use any live rock, live sand, live bacteria?

Welcome to reefing :)

Try adding in more beneficial bacteria to help with the process. Especially if you didn’t to start.

re: question: could definitely just be test accuracy, user error during tests (which happens to *many* people, even those doing test for years), etc. Who did the test? Even if it was the fish store, they don’t always get it right.

The really annoying answer here is probably the tried and true “give it time” and “be patient”. Man but those have made me grimace whenever they get said to me. :)

Did you use any live rock, live sand, live bacteria?

Welcome to reefing :)
No live rock or sand. I did add some bacteria but have not added any since 1/3. I have a test kit I am using at home.

update as of last night:
PH:8.4
Ammonia: 2.0ppm
Nitrite: 1.0ppm
Nitrate: 10ppm

You're at the beginning of the cycle precess, most likely you have a few weeks or so so I recommend spending the time reading about the nitrogen cycle.

There's really no such thing a "stable ammonia", the only good ammonia reading is ZERO. Same for Nitrite. Once wast is introduced into the aquarium the nitrifying bacteria consumes it and turned it into ammonia. Ammonia is consumed by nitrifying bacteria and is converted into nitrite. Nitrite is consumed by the ntrifing bacteria and turned into nitrate. At this point the nitrifying bacteria do nothing to consume Nitrate meaning it’s going to build up unless there is something to consume it (thats the advanced course).

Nitrate is a necessary component in a marine aquarium but not too high of a concentration. You'll need to learn about options to control/remove it to keep it at a safe level.

With all that said this is a great time for the new to the hobby Aquarist to spend time reading, asking questions and learning as much about the hobby.

Start a build thread, post pictures and ask questions in that thread, thesis a great time passer as you wait for that 1st cycle to complete...

Last edited:
Back