30 day routine expense, 450 gallon reef; plus APEX & CO2 failure warning

richards

Supporting
Reaction score
I thought I would share my receipts from this routine month of January. 450 gallon mixed reef. A lot of fun, and labor of love, for sure....I never take the repair or maintenance budget personally. The food runs about $100 every six weeks for a variety of dry and frozen fish/coral food, but I did not make this purchase in January. Not included is the modest water going through the RO filter to the 100 gallon storage tank, nor the modest waste fraction of RO reject water dumped into the sewer. Nor the three amps/315 watts of electricity during the 12 hour duration light cycle, nor the 65% less current during the night cycle. I change about 80 gallons of water weekly.

Jan 5th:
$96.93 for nitrate test kit, CO2 absorption media, ethernet cable
$38.15 for PVC and materials to repair CO2 reactor
Jan 17th:
$282.20 for Calcium sand, poly pads, triton test, cupersorb, reef crystals
$25 C02 tank refill
$36.04 filter rolls
$86.19 Replenish
January total: $564.51 routine maintenance

It definitely adds up quick. You are making me think twice about setting up my big tank which is about 470-480g total volume of water.

APEX Failure Report: Well, we see everything, right? In the tenth month of my happy operations, APEX on DAY ONE would no longer graph data nor hold an internet connection for longer than five minutes. DAY TWO APEX would not operate the lighting - lights were off, period. About 40 harmless hours of nighttime on the reef. DAY THREE the new purchase APEX system (vendors would not sell computer alone, and I could not wait for factory repair) was delivered, installed and reprogrammed - a good half day of "business hour" APEX labor. I have automated the LED lighting, central pumps, three power heads, C02 Reactor, Skimmer, automated water change, evaporation top off, and dosing pumps for three part solutions, temperature, reporting water leaks, ph/temp/orp, and ozone.....

ODE to UGLY MILWAUKEE BRAND OF CO2 SOLENOID FOR THE CALCIUM REACTOR (APEX SYSTEM)
Sweet concept. I set the ph range in APEX (high and low) for the PH in the reaction chamber, i.e., the CO2 flow rate, the water pump rate, and enjoy a great tool for dissolving aragonite in the reactor to replenish CA, MG, ALK, and trace elements. This really works. Check out THREE ISSUES: (FAILURE 1) summer 2023, controller solenoid is frozen shut and entirely not working, no CO2 will dispense for the reactor. Purchased second Milwaukee controller. (FAILURE 2) Fall 2023, Milwaukee controller is frozen in the full open position and in a few hours had dropped the PH in the happy reef from peak daylight of 8.2 to below 7.5, and falling. Only one solution, close the CO2 tank valve, remove the 2nd controller, ventilate the tank and room, and purchase the 3rd Milwaukee controller. (FAILURE 3) February 12, 2024: noticed at lunch time the PH had fallen more than 0.2 below the nighttime minimum, and was falling before "reef daylight." Fascinating LOUD sound in the cabinet below the aquarium: like the sound of cold water splashing on a hot frying pan, like a metronome, the solenoid was releasing CO2 into the ambient air under the aquarium, with the pressure gauge dancing with the hissing sound. Quite the dance. I will not purchase another Milwaukee controller, yikes. Would love an equipment recommendation.

Thoughts about the Calcium reactor in this aquarium: because of heavy coral growth in this mixed reef, I last fall I added technology to maintain CA/ALK/MG & trace elements - using four automated dose pumps, in addition to the reactor, plus an automated small daily water change, and a manual large once weekly water change. The reactor just could not maintain these components once the aquarium stabilized and after I increased the SPS livestock.

Would be a fun conversation one day - technology.

Best wishes, perhaps this experience will aid the community. Glad I was in town when the referenced equipment failed, the consequences could have been ugly had I been out of state.....

Richard

It definitely adds up quick. You are making me think twice about setting up my big tank which is about 470-480g total volume of water.
LOVE the big tank. Just plan carefully. My previous 90 gallon tank was quite low technology, by my own inexperience. I think LPS and Soft corals require no technology and only dirty water (my office aquarium, really low maintenance, like twice a year, stabilized). SPS is the challenge, lol.

Sorry the Milwaukee pH controllers have not been reliable for you. It's what I use for my calcium reactor also. My unit has performed well.

Back